Tuesday 21 April 2015

A trip down memory lane for my mom

For those of you who don't know my mom, well that's everyone. My mom used to be in a children's home from 1967 to 1969. The home was on the outskirts of Dorchester called Penwithen.

Over the past several month my mom has had re-occurring dreams about the school. For what reason neither of us know, so  I offered to go with her to the place that she keeps dreaming about.

Mom where she stood 47 years ago!
As we pulled up to the building the car park is full and my mom is visibly shaking, from being so nervous.
The entrance hallway was a two floor staircase with a fire place on the right near a window for signing in where my mom spoke to a very nice lady who's aunt was in the children's home a few years after.
The grand foyer
I couldn't take a lot of pictures as the building is now the Social services head quarters of Dorset.
Original windows at the entrance 
The original architecture of this building is amazing. The add- on buildings look dreadful and do not go in the slightest with the old buildings.

A hand written note about Penwithen - the only information I've found so far.


 Do you know anyone that attended the children's home or have any information?

I would be grateful if anyone has any information that they could share with me or point me in the right direction, I will be happy to do more research just for the sake of my mothers sanity!


3 comments:

  1. Hi I have just read your letter going bk a few years ago,I to was in penwithen in 1977.My memories here wasnt very nice with rather strict staff.memories I will never forget

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you don't have very good memories of Penwithen. My mom has mixed memories but has said the staff were always very strict when she was the 12 years ish before yourself.

      Delete
  2. I have replied to your story

    ReplyDelete