Monday 25 April 2016

Bumble Bees at work my little visitor


Whilst at work I had myself a little visitor or should I say two!
These little fellows were helping me weigh up some seed. It was so nice seeing these majestic creatures flying around me and then landing on my seed.
I believe this species is Psithyrus Vestalis otherwise known as the Cuckoo bumblebee.





I had this little guy land on the sleeve of my jumper where he must have sat relaxing for almost an hour where he landed.


I read somewhere that these little fella's can be quite a nasty little thing to other bee species and will work their magic at wiping out other queen bees.
There are only 6 cuckoo bumblebee species in the UK. The 2 main features that these bees have that set them apart from other bumblebees include: Back legs that are covered in hair, with no pollen baskets – you will never see a cuckoo bumblebee with pollen lumps on its legs. The wings that appear dusky or dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment